Joe Lynn Turner has a reputation as one of the world’s greatest rock vocalists, a reputation he maintains well into his 60s. This is a guy that has taken care of his pipes over the years, and it shows in the form of countless live performances and ongoing studio recordings with a myriad of albums and projects.
Turner remains in demand for a number of recordings to this day to his reputation as a superior vocalist; this comes as absolutely no surprise, something fans and contemporaries are all very much aware of. The Sessions is a new CD from Joe Lynn Turner which brings together a number of these recordings; chances are you have seen a number of these on various tribute albums over the years.
The tracklist for The Sessions is as follows below, as well as the guest musicians featured on the various tracks:
01. Stone Cold (Rainbow cover with Vivian Campbell, Joe Lynn Turner sang on the original)
02. Lunatic Fringe (Red Rider cover)
03. Let the Music Do the Talking (Joe Perry Project cover with Al Pitrelli, Carmine Rojas & Pat Torpey)
04. Mirror Mirror (Def Leppard cover with Icarus Witch)
05. Hellraiser (Ozzy Osbourne cover with Steve Lukather, Billy Sherwood, Jay Schellen & Paul Taylor)
06. 14 Years (Guns N Roses cover)
07. Dance The Night Away (Van Halen cover with Reb Beach)
08. Back in Black (AC/DC cover with Phil Collen)
09. All Shook Up (Elvis Presley cover with Michael Schenker)
10. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You (Led Zeppelin cover with Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, Tony Franklin & Doane Perry)
11. All Day and All of the Night (Kinks cover with Brad Gillis, Rudy Sarzo & Simon Wright)
12. Bloody Well Right (Supertramp cover with Dave Kerzner)
13. The Seeker (Who cover with Leslie West)
14. Jungle Love (Steve Miller Band cover with Steve Morse)
15. Two Minutes To Midnight (Iron Maiden cover with Richie Kotzen)
16. Fat Bottomed Girls (Queen cover with Reb Beach)
17. Riders On The Storm (Doors cover with Tony Kaye & Steve Cropper)
As you can see, the music that you get on here covers no shortage of classic rock, hard rock and metal bands, spanning the years and genres alike. From The Kinks to AC/DC, there is a little bit of everything here! Joe Lynn Turner proves himself to be the seasoned rock and roll hero he always been, rising to the occasion on each and every track included here. Much of the time, it sounds almost as if he is trying to become the original singer on each track; it is great to hear his Brian Johnson impersonation on “Back in Black!”
Also impressive is the fact that this is not just all mainstream hits. When is the last time you heard of any artist covering Def Leppard’s “Mirror Mirror?” Or Guns N Roses’ “14 Years?” The myriad of guest stars assembled only adds to the overall enjoyment that one is going to experience on this release. What you see here is basically what you get; one of rock’s finest vocalists covering the work of many of the other rock/metal greats of the years. Opinions amongst fans of Turner and the original artists are bound to vary from song to song, but this fan was thoroughly impressed by the work contained herein.
Chances are you have heard a few of these tracks on other compilations/tribute albums/releases/etc., but it is nice to have a package that brings it together in one convenient place for fans of Turner. This is more than just a mere “covers album” on account of the sheer volume of special guests assembled, and Turner’s usual impressive lead vocal work. Definitely recommended for any fan.